I posted some sports trivia early on in this blog, so now it is time for some interesting non-sport trivia:
- Three members of the Curie family won Nobel Prizes. Marie and Pierre Curie shared the physics prize in 1903, while Marie won the chemistry prize in 1911. Daughter Irene, along with husband Frederic Joliot-Curie, won the chemistry prize in 1935.
- The shortest war was fought on the 27th of August, 1896, between Great Britain and Zanzibar (now part of Tanzania). Faced by a rebellious Sultan, the British fleet bombarded his palace until he surrendered, which took just 38 minutes.
- Nonce words are words created to be used once for a particular purpose – eg ‘supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’ from the film Mary Poppins.
- 40 when written as “forty” is the only number with its letters in alphabetical order.
- The national flag of Mozambiqie features the outline of an AK-47 assault rifle – the only flag to feature a weapon.