The mysterious disappearance of the Patanela

One of the more recent and more mysterious disappearances at sea concerns the schooner Panatela, which disappeared just off the coast of Sydney on the 8th of November, 1988.

The voyage into oblivion began on the other side of the country, on the 16th of October 1988. The elegant steel-hulled Panatela, 20 metres long and lavishly equipped, set out from Fremantle’s harbour for Airlie Beach in Queensland. On board were the schooner’s owner, wealthy businessman Alan Nicol, his skipper, the commercial pilot and Admiral’s Cup sailor Ken Jones, Mrs Noreen Jones, daughter Ronnalee, and two young sailors, John Blissett and Michael Calvin.

The latter pair had so admired the magnificent boat moored in the harbour that they approached Nicol to ask if they could work aboard her. Nicol hired them as crew for the voyage to the Whitsunday Islands. Now they were enjoying themselves and accumulating a generous block of sailing time that would count towards their navigation certificates.

The Panatela was fitted with more than enough safety devices – radar, satellite navigation, watertight components, lifeboats and an electronic radio beacon that would signal the Panatela’s position for 48 hours in case of an emergency.


The first leg of the journey ended at Esperance, where Alan Nicol disembarked, as he had business committments back in Perth. Ronnalee left the yacht at Port Eyre, South Australia, also due to work commitments. Panatela continued eastwards, regularly radioing her position along the way.

At 12.57 am on the 8th of November, Keith McLennan, a radio operator with the Overseas Telecommunications Commission (OTC), received the first of what would be three radio messages from the Panatela. In a voice which seemed relaxed and calm, Ken Jones gave the schooner’s callsign (Victor Mike Papa Tango), and reported their position was 10 nautical miles east of Botany Bay. He then said:

“I believe we’ve run  out of fuel…we’ve hoisted our sails and were tacking out to the east, tracking about zero-eight-zero…our intention is to tack out for a couple of hours, then tack back in. We may need some assistance in the morning to get back into Sydney Harbour.”

The night was overcast, with a light north-east wind and a moderate swell which the schooner would easily have been able to ride. McLennan subsequently testified that Patanela’s seemingly routine message set off no alarm bells. It was quite common for vessels to run out of fuel – and in calm weather like this, there appeared to be nothing to worry about. The schooner would have been within sight of the lights of Botany Bay.

Ken Jones made his second call at 1.58 am. This time he asked for a weather report, explaining that with the wind abating he didn’t want to be caught too far out before sailing into harbour. He then requested directions to the coastal town of Moruya. This was puzzling, as Moruya is located on the south coast of New South Wales, which was a few hours sailing time away from where the Panatela was. McLennan told Jones that there was a strong wind in the area, and recalled that there again appeared to be no sign of distress in Jones’ voice.

Just after 2.00 am, OTC picked up a third call from Jones. The skipper’s voice faded and crackled. He could just be heard saying “Three hundred kilometres south? Is it? South…”  His words were then drowned out in static. No further messages would be received from the Panatela.

When Keith McLennan ended his shift at 3.40 am, he mentioned the three calls to his relief operator. No-one at this stage was concerned, as it was not unknown for skippers to radio that they would be entering Sydney heads, only to change their minds and sail elsewhere – without advising the shore radio operators. No-one expected that Jones would need to contact the Sydney OTC station again.

Alan Nicol, the schooner’s owner, believed that Jones had made a late decision to bypass Sydney and travel up the NSW coast to Airlie Beach. However, as the days passed, Nicol, along with relatives and friends of the four people aboard, began to worry. Of particular concern was Jones’ son Peter, who had been unable to contact his father via ship-to-shore radio.

By the 18th of November, the day on which the Patanela should have reached Airlie Beach, a full alert was sounded. The families wanted the Federal Sea Safety and Surveillance Unit to mount a major search for the schooner, but it was too late. After 10 days the Panatela could have been anywhere. At least 100 aircraft would have been needed to scour 200,000 kilometres of coastline and ocean, and even then, the rescuers could have not exactly known where the schooner was. The Panatela could have sailed straight out sea, headed for another country, assuming that the schooner had not sunk.

If the Panatela has sunk off Botany Bay, it would have been impossible to find the wreckage, as the water 10 miles of the coast is 140 metres deep – way to deep for divers or a ship with tracking equipment to find anything.

The parents of the two young crewman, Blissett and Calvin, talked to the media, and two disturbing facts emerged.

On the afternoon of the 5th of November, Michael Calvin called his father, who lived in Taree, on the NSW mid-north coast. He uttered two words “G’day Dad”, before the line went dead.

In a remarkable coincidence Calvin had been employed as a set rigger on the Australian movie Dead Calm, which starred Sam Neill and Nicole Kidman. The film tells the story of a couple holidaying aboard a yacht in the Whitsunday Islands, who are terrorized by a crazed stranger. Some scenes of the movie were shot at Airlie Beach – the destination of the Patanella.

Peter Jones believed that something sinister had happened to his parents, and that his father was making the radio calls under duress:

“It’s certainly my father’s voice on the tape. But it doesn’t seem to be his words. I don’t think he’d ever say he ‘believed’ that he had run out of fuel. He’s too experienced to be so vague. I think his radio calls were veiled calls for help.”

Both Peter Jones and Alan Nicol believe that the Patanela was not short of fuel – the fuel tanks were filled to capacity at the start of the voyage, while additional diesel had been added at stops along the way.

A search was done in the area from where Ken Jones said he was calling from, but no debris were found. Authorities checked all 48 vessels that were in the area in the early hours of the 8th of November, and could find no damage on any them, which suggests that the Patanela did not collide with another vessel. Even if the schooner did have a collision, the watertight components would have made it very difficult for the Patanela to sink if her hull had been holed. A previous collision in 1958 with a submerged rock off the Tasmanian coast had ripped a 1.5 metre long hole in the hull, but the schooner was able to travel 200 kilometres to a port for repairs.

Police were skeptical about those three final messages. They speculated that the schooner may have been hundreds of kilometres away from Botany bay when they were transmitted, and that the messages were a ruse, designed to confuse rescuers while the schooner’s hijackers made their escape.

The first solid evidence of the possible fate of the Patanela came on the 9th of May, 1989. A fisherman at Terrigal, on the NSW Central Coast, just north of Sydney, hauled in a barnacle-encrusted lifebuoy. Seeing that there were words printed on the buoy, he scraped away some of the barnacles, which revealed “Patanela, Fremantle”.

Despite having some key evidence removed when the fisherman scraped away the barnacles, the buoy was examined by a marine biologist, who determined that the buoy could not have been in the ocean for more than four weeks. Based on this analysis, it seems that the schooner was afloat six months after her “final” radio message.

Hundreds of sightings of yachts that looked similar to the Patanela were reported from all over the world – Australia, South America and South-East Asia. Some of the theories regarding the Panatela’s fate included:

  • A Russian submarine on a spying mission collided with the Patanela, before fleeing the scene
  • Arms dealers, smugglers or drug dealers had seized control of the the schooner and killed all aboard. They had then refitted and renamed the vessel, and used it for their illegal activities far away from Australia.
  • The schooner had hit an uncharted reef or half-submerged container which had fallen from a freighter. It had then sunk, killing all on board.

The inquest at the Glebe Coroner’s Court in Sydney lasted for four days. As there was insufficient evidence to suggest that the yacht had been hijacked, a finding of accidental sinking was declared by the NSW Deputy Coroner, Derrick Hand.

There is an interesting postscript to the disappearance twenty years later.  On New Years Eve 2007, Sheryl Waideman, husband Gary and brother Doug had driven to a remote beach near Eucla at the West Australian-South Australian border for a swim.

Ms Waideman was taken aback when she found a rum bottle half-buried, upside down in the sand, with a note inside. It was only after returning home to Esperance, nine hours by car, that the trio carefully removed the note.

The crewmen's message.
The crewmen’s message.

The note read: “Hi there. Out here in the lonely Southern Ocean and thought we would give away a free holiday in the Whitsunday Islands in north Queensland, Australia. Our ship is travelling from Fremantle, Western Aust, to Queensland to work as a charter vessel.”  It was written by John Blissett, one of the crew members of the Panatela, and thrown overboard, a week before he, his fellow crew members and the schooner mysteriously disappeared.

The following sources were used for the creation of this blog entry:

John Pinkney, “Great Australian Mysteries”, Five Mile Press, Rowville, VIC, 2004


21 thoughts on “The mysterious disappearance of the Patanela

  1. I was fishing on a commercial vessel off Cairns when this happened.. To strange to believe and ocean going vessels with an experienced skipper would ever bother to radio regarding fuel. Also this vessel would never have entered the small Port of Moruya. To much makes no sense at all. I believe this vessel was never near Botany Bay at that heading zero 8 zero just doesn’t add up. Go 300ks down the coast NO WAY. I have fished out of Eden and the East coast Esperance the Bight etc and that was a well decked out ketch 63 feet of steel just don’t disappear.. Will never know ..


  2. Anchored next to Norm Hunts steel hull in Kellys Basin Tasmania 1998. Interesting two days listening to stories from a character who had many adventures on the sea. Norm once owned the Patanella and had his own theories. Thanks Norm, what a great couple of days we had. x


  3. I arrived in Denia Spain on Wed 4th of October 2000 on my yacht Catalpa after spending 2 years on the hard in Valencia after taking a walk through the hard stand area I clearly identified the Patenella..
    I had a copy of the Cruising Helmsman which had featured an article on the Patenella some time before which I got out and compared the photos it all matched I remember in particular the name board. Mike


  4. Hi all,

    I have a picture of the Patanela in Constitution Dock Hobart in the late 1950’s early 1960’s.She towed a motor vessel called the “Lorne” down from Sydney and my grandfather purchased her in Hobart.




    • Barry,

      Thanks for your comment. Was your grandfather on the trip back in 1958 when the Patanela was ripped open , but was able to make it back to port for repairs? What are your thoughts on the disappearance?


      • Hi mate no to the first question. But as to the disappearance i think there was some foul play involved. I think she still may be about somewhere it is certainly a mystery. One that may never be solved.


    • Graham,
      Hmmm, I’m not sure if they were murdered, but I’ve always had that thought in the back of my mind. Michael seemed pretty decent of a bloke; Blissett, maybe the opposite somewhat. I knew neither fellows, but back in 1988 I was a few years younger than “Dick”, so I had a bit of a ‘knockabout’ attitude as well (didn’t we all?), and I lived just up the coast! Look, I’ve always been a big Ken Jones supporter – the things he’s done up till 52 (?) was amazing! Sure, companies go bust all the time, but the bloke had his head screwed on. Did he somehow suffer from depression at all? I also support Peter Jones and Hugh Richardson in their defending of Jonesy. After all, didn’t they know him best? I had a particular dream a couple of years ago involving the taking of the yacht. It’s probably my mind working ‘overtime’, but Ken had told Ray Mudie of a heart condition he had when he came on board, and Ray told Nicol. In the dream I had, the two ‘boys’ took over the boat, and Ken had a heart attack because of this. The ‘boys’ offered him to the sea, and Noreen, in her grief, jumped overboard, wanting to be with him till the end. Anyway, it was just a dream, and I DO NOT mean anything by it. Alan Nicol did a fantastic job of trying to find his boat; and as for a BUSY shipping lane, there were few boats really out on that night in question off Sydney Heads. AND Richard Perry Ham – why-oh-why did you NOT have your radar switched on!?

      Anyway, cheers for now!


      • Anyone who knows / knew Michael and John knows that they were decent men who came from decent families and they would not deliberately disappear and put their families through such unimaginable hell. It’s not helpful when people blame Michael and John especially when people who have never meet them nor grown up with them or their families are making judgement calls about their character which simply aren’t correct. Let’s think about the toll it has taken on all the families of all four people on board, it’s so heartbreaking not knowing what has happened to their loved ones. Myself I personally think that they were high jacked by pirates / drug runners as there was so much publicity at the time about The Panatela, how expensive it was and the state of art satellite equipment etc and the route that The Patanela was taking. I think that everything was taken into account for their fateful journey except the risk of The Patanela being high jacked for its state of the art equipment. My heart goes out to Michael’s family The Calvin family, John’s family The Blissett family and the family of the other two people on board The Patanela. I hope that the truth about what really happened to The Patanela and everyone on board will be solved so their families and friends can finally know what really happened on that fateful journey


  5. Hiya matey!

    Well in my personal opinion, and has been for a while now, from reading what skipper John Shaw said about their plans to hijack the Golden Plover in 1987 and head to South America. Remember Calvin worked on the set of Dead Calm? (Great film! Have you seen it? Billy zane was fantastic!). The movie may also have inspired them to do what they possibly did, as well as well as the drinking sessions that came later. I don’t think they were coding their messages to outside people on another boat. I’d be pretty certain if anything, they just decided to steal the boat Just after Irene Strange, of Coledale, saw the vessel at 2:30pm. Now bear with me… Now that they were trained sailors (presumably) by John Shaw and Ken Jones, they just took control of the boat. Alan Nicol and the others were no longer on board, so they only had to contend with Ken and Noreen. Mrs. Jones may have been threatened by Blissett (I place him as the ‘leader’ of the two ‘boys’). With the Jones’ being held hostage, Ken didn’t have a choice but to do as they said. (Remember now, the background conversation was inaudible on the tape, so I would pay a thousand dollars cash to have it cleaned up, and then we’d have the answer!). Ken was taken by surprise with what was happening, but he may have suspected something was amiss earlier on in the voyage regarding his two young crewmen. Also remember that during the refit of Patanela before the voyage, Ken said they were spending too much time doing other things, so there probably wasn’t a happy crew that set sail after all. What I am saying is that although the boat’s fuel tanks were filled up before departure from Fremantle, Ken suspected something was up with the ‘boys’ and he being a very good seaman himself, deliberately wanted to use up as much fuel as possible if a mutiny was being planned of ‘his ship’. Anyhow, they forced him to relay three messages to Sydney OTC … Then commandeered the boat and pointed it toward South America. So now you have Ken and Noreen Jones as hostages, and Calvin and Blissett as the skippers, instead of everybody else saying that THEY needed the ‘boys’. Either one of them could have tossed the lifebuoy from the boat to create a red herring, thinking people would be fooled that boat was either rammed and sunk, or hijacked. The plan did work to an extent. Some time later on, there was a report that a half-submerged yacht was found off the Chilean coast…I think this WAS the Patanela. What happened to it was a mystery, it may have hit a submerged rock or reef, or was stopped by Ken Jones somehow. None survived however, and this I think, is why the boat was never found.


  6. Shane,

    Thanks for the message, and for looking at my blog.

    I wonder if the police or the coroner ever interviewed the Alan Nicol, the Patanela’s owner? He might have been able to give them some information.

    The early hours of the morning would be the ideal time to hijack the schooner – under the cover of darkness and very few ships about. I have an interesting idea – what if there was something valuable on board the yacht that was worth stealing? If this was the case, then the theory of an “inside job” takes on more creedence. This would put skipper Ken Jones right in the centre of a conspiracy to hijack the yacht.


    • Hi Graham,
      It’s great to speak with a Patanela buff!
      There was a rumour that there was a valuable ‘shipment’ of the illegal type on board the yacht and had been there for a while. I’m guessing if there was, then an orchestrated hijack was indeed the case here.
      I’m of another mind, however, and have thought that Calvin and Blissett were the ones behind the hijacking…and anyway, hasn’t mutiny on ships been around almost since the dawn of human existence?
      To me, the only wreckage found was the single lifebuoy, which really means nothing in my opinion to an answer on the case.


      • Hi Shane,

        The thought that Calvin and Blissett were involved did cross my mind – were they covertly letting the hijackers know of the locations of the Patanela? I mentioned that the ship was giving regular radio updates of its location – what if either Calvin and Blissett were doing the regular updates, but surreptitiously keeping in contact with the hijackers.

        I am assuming that they (Calvin and Blissett) were still on board when the boat was allegedly off Botany Bay.


  7. Hi guys,
    I’ve been following this case since 1989’s “60 Minutes” report on tv, and it still perplexes me a bit today. I hope at one stage we finally get the truth to it all. My honest opinion is that the schooner was indeed hijacked; not so much sunk through collision. I prefer the theory of ‘certain ‘ members of the crew being involved over ‘outsiders’, but I have no proof, but this to me sits as the best solution to the mystery. One of them is, why hasn’t a film been produced yet on this case?


  8. We were friends with the then owner of the Patenela who kept it at North Adelaide in the early 80’s – I think he name was Norm? He as trying to sell it and I went out with them when he was taking a potential owner for a spin. Under full sail she was a sight to behold, even though I was pretty seasick at the time.

    Thanks for posting.


    • Thanks for the reply.

      Yes, the Patanela was certainly a distinctive yacht. As the discovery of the lifebuoy showed that the yacht had been sailing after the distress messages, I believe that whoever had taken over the Patanela would have changed her appearance in some way so that the yacht could not be recognised.


    • Hi Byron,

      Thanks for your comment. I believe that the police were on the right track – the radio messages were fakes designed to make sure that the yacht was not found. If I had run out of fuel 10 miles off the coast of Botany Bay, I would have put down an anchor, and wait for another ship to bring an emergency petrol supply, or even get a tow into the shore.


Please leave a reply if you found this post interesting, or if you can add some further information. I look forward to your comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s